Monday, November 23, 2020

Man[goes] to Discord

Discord is one the most popular group chatting apps and possibly the most popular communication app among "gamers." But it isn't just for gaming, a lot of people use it for just casual conversation and chilling. And when I talk to people, I like learn about their how they have lived and such. Because it lets me put on their shoes and understand what they have been through and their past in the sense. It also helps in what I am allowed to talk about and what I am not allowed to talk about. But, it is really hard to ask these question to people just by talk, but in mind needs to be asked to allow for a real connection.

People don't realize how often offensive jokes/dark humor is used and many times this dark humor mocks certain groups or targets them. For example a lot people make Holocaust jokes. But imagine if they were said when a Jewish person was in the call. I have seen this happen quite a few times actually, especially one of the people that I have played with online for quite a while is Jewish. Another example might be the fact that I talked to a person who was in foster care and then somebody said something that was supposed to "funny" about parents. My immediate reaction was to ask the person indirectly if it was okay and the response was "Yeah, it's alright, I don't care."

But the thing is I don't want to hurt some people due to some unintentional talk/banter. So I have been trying to discern their culture through their accent and deepness/raspiness of voice, for example a past smoker would probably have a more deeper, raspier voice. But I haven't always been correct, so when I ask a straight forward question, I often am asked "Why?" It makes sense, because many times it may seem like I am racist, sexist, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment